Thursday, February 26, 2004

Ugh - been at the computer for hours, thinking up questions for a quiz I'm co-planning and leading in Mitzpe Ramon this Shabbat. I have literature, film, bible and personalities coming out of my ears.

Sunday night I went out for drinks, organised by and for Mini, an old friend from RSY who now lives out here and is about to go off for his army service. It felt refreshingly normal to go to a bar and have a beer. Going to yeshiva all day, Hebrew lessons in the evenings and back here at the end of the day does not feel normal.

But it's been a busy week. Monday I went to a Biblical Landscape Park (!) in the morning, a brit milah (circumcision ceremony) in the afternoon and Hebrew lessons in the evening.

Jerusalem is a strange place. Religion is everywhere: the norm, visible and accepted. This is undoubtedly the best place for me to explore my Judaism, because here it's not just a case of one, two or three sizes fit all. Instead, against the backdrop of general Jewishness, you end up noticing the details of your personal practice.

Off to the desert early Friday morning, the whole yeshiva away together for a shabbat break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home